June 20, 2013

Two Birds and a Pig Gluten Free Chili


I don't think I'll ever get bored of experimenting with chili.  It's always so good, makes lots of leftovers, and can be made so many different ways.  I just went with what I had on hand, hoped for the best, and was pleasantly surprised when it ended up exceeding my expectations.  Next time though, I think I'll make it a bit spicier.  I mean, it did make my nose run a bit, but I know I can handle a lot more heat:)

Ingredients
  • 6 tblsp oil
  • 1 pound chicken (GF chicken sausage, chopped chicken, etc.)
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1 pound spicy pork sausage (makes sure it's gluten free)
  • 2 1/2 tblsp hot chili powder
  • 3 medium onion (chopped)
  • 3 large jalapeno peppers (seeded and minced)
  • 1 tblsp garlic (minced)
  • 1 tblsp dried oregano
  • 1 tblsp red wine vinegar
  • 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
  • 1 cup water
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 4 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tblsp brown sugar
  • 1 (6 oz.) can diced black olives
  • 1 can of dark kidney beans (drained)
  • Shredded Cheddar cheese for garnish

Cooking Directions
  1. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a large pot and brown the chicken, ground turkey and pork sausage. Once browned, stir in the chili powder and set aside.
  2. Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet and saute the onions until golden.
  3. Add the minced jalapenos and saute for a few minutes; add the garlic and saute for a minute.
  4. Add the onion mixture to the meat along with the oregano, vinegar, tomatoes, water, bay leaves, cumin, brown sugar, salt, and olives.  Reduce the heat to a low simmer.
  5. Cover and cook for 1 hour, making sure it remains simmering throughout (not boiling). Stir occasionally and adjust seasoning to your taste.
  6. Add drained can of dark kidney beans and simmer for an additional 10 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
  7. Remove bay leaves and serve topped with shredded Cheddar.
  8. Enjoy!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Just So You Know...

The information presented in this blog is intended to educate and entertainment. However, I'm not a medical expert.  I also do not know absolutely everything about Celiac Disease.  What I do know has been learned through trial and error, research, and what has been taught to me by friends who also share my food-related affliction.  Please take the time to do your own research about Celiac Disease and gluten-related issues.  I have a list of links to useful resources along the left-side of this blog. Also, feel free to cross-check my statements. If you find contrary information, please let me know. Thanks so much for visiting Trav's Gone Gluten Free!